Location: Washington, DC or New York City
Status: Exempt; Full Time
Reports to: President
Launched in 2019, Accountable.US is a nonpartisan watchdog group exposing corruption across all levels of government and holding our policymakers accountable. The projects at Accountable.US use traditional research tactics, such as public records requests, financial disclosure review, voting record analysis, and more to identify who is influencing public policy debates and why.
Accountable.US seeks a Chief Counsel who will manage the organization’s current litigation docket and will be tasked with identifying new opportunities to expose government malfeasance through litigation. The ideal candidate will have a proven litigation track record, familiarity with both the Freedom of Information Act and state open records laws, and an understanding of laws and regulations covering governmental ethics. A flexible personality, sense of humor, and positive attitude are also essential.
This position is based in Washington, DC or New York City. Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience. Accountable.US welcomes diversity and strives to create an inclusive environment for all employees.
Essential Responsibilities and Tasks
- Manage a robust litigation docket, working with outside counsel and non-profit partners.
- Develop and oversee standards for Freedom of Information Act and state agency open records requests.
- Litigate routine Freedom of Information Act records requests, drafting court pleadings as necessary.
- Review research to spot potential legal issues.
- Work with communications teams on messaging materials and press outreach.
- Represent the organization in partner and ally meetings.
- Draft reports and letters to legislative and executive bodies.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
Required Education, Experience, Knowledge, Skills and Ability
- Law degree;
- 10+ years of litigation experience;
- Demonstrated knowledge of the Freedom of Information Act and state open records laws;
- Strong legal research and writing skills;
- Strong interpersonal skills;
- Outstanding communicator that works collaboratively with others;
- Proven leader with experience in managing employees and consultants;
- Talent for developing and maintaining strong partner and coalition relationships;
- Demonstrated commitment to public interest advocacy; and
- Impeccable professional ethics and integrity.
Valued and Non-Essential Education, Experience, Knowledge, Skills and Ability
- Understanding of the legal framework in which 501(c)(3) and 501(c)(4) organizations operate; and
- Proven track record of managing and cultivating donor relationships.
- Exceptional communications skills;
- Smart political judgement and acumen;
- Handles herself well under pressure;
- Extremely well organized with strong attention to detail;
- Flexible personality;
- Sense of humor; and
- Works well in and contributes to a collegial environment.
How to Apply
Please email cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Accountable.US is committed to attracting, developing and retaining exceptional people, and to creating a work environment that is dynamic, rewarding and enables each of us to realize our potential. Our work environment is safe and open to all employees and partners, respecting the full spectrum of race, color, religious creed, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, political affiliation, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, and all other classifications protected by law in the locality and/or state in which you are working.