Location: Helena, MT, New York, NY, or Washington, DC
Status: Non-Exempt; Full Time
Reports to: Project Director
Launched in 2019, Accountable.US is a nonpartisan, nonprofit watchdog group exposing corruption across all levels of government. Western Values Project, a project of Accountable.US, seeks a Deputy Press Secretary to support its work defending America’s public lands and exposing special interest influence on a range of environmental issues, including public lands, national parks, energy policy, climate change, wildlife, and accountability on both the state and federal level.
This position requires incredible attention to detail, superior organizational abilities, and excellent written and verbal communication skills. The position is based in Helena, MT, New York City, or Washington, DC., though this work may include travel on occasion. Some weekend work may be required. Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience. A flexible personality, sense of humor, and positive attitude are important.
Essential Responsibilities and Tasks
- Monitor opportunities to advance our project’s values, positions, and brand;
- Build and maintain press lists;
- Draft and edits talking points, press releases, op-eds, memos, and other materials as needed;
- Send mass emails, press releases, and posts materials online;
- Produce detailed reports of project activities;
- Pitch print, broadcast, and new media reporters, editors, and producers when appropriate and in consultation with the project deputy director;
- Develop graphics and social media posts;
- Update websites, blog posts, and other digital mediums;
- Represent the project and coordinate with partners by attending meetings and conference calls in consultation with the project deputy director;
- Perform other duties, as required.
Required Experience, Knowledge, Skills and Ability
- Minimum experience of one year in communications, public relations, or advocacy;
- Issue advocacy, political campaign, and strategic experience preferred;
- Strong writing skills for both press and general audiences. Writing should be sharp, personable, and memorable;
- Social media content creation and management; and
- Basic understanding of natural resource issues, particularly as they apply to federal public lands.
- Interest in debates surrounding natural resource, energy and public lands issues in Congress, federal regulatory agencies, and in statehouses is helpful but not required;
- Basic graphic design and website management skills;
- Ability to work independently and juggle competing priorities and strict deadlines;
- A proven track record for being a self-starter; and
- A commitment to protecting public lands.
How to Apply
Send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with “WVP Deputy Press Secretary Applicant” in the subject line.
Accountable.US is committed to attracting, developing and retaining exceptional people, and to creating a work environment that is dynamic, rewarding and enables each of us to realize our potential. Our work environment is safe and open to all employees and partners, respecting the full spectrum of race, color, religious creed, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, political affiliation, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, and all other classifications protected by law in the locality and/or state in which you are working.