Position: Director, Energy and Environment
Location: Washington, DC
Status: Exempt; Full time
Reports to: Senior Director of Research & Issue Campaigns
Accountable.US is a nonpartisan watchdog organization that shines a light on the corrupting influence of powerful corporations and special interests on public policymaking. Our work helps pave the way for policies that advance the interests of all Americans, not just the rich and powerful. If you’re looking for a growing, fast-paced organization that invests in its people and strives to create more equitable and inclusive communities, then Accountable.US could be the place for you. We offer competitive salaries, exceptional benefits, and we encourage a healthy work/life balance for our staff.
Do you have a passion for conservation and the environment? Are you a political and policy news junkie who thrives in fast-paced environments? Are you a creative and entrepreneurial problem solver who enjoys developing and executing strategy in a collaborative environment? Have you successfully managed complicated projects or campaigns with lots of moving pieces?
Accountable.US seeks a Director to help lead our work in the Energy and Environment space. The Director will lead a comprehensive energy and environment program that advances progressive policy solutions by calling out opponents of progress. The position requires excellent strategic sense, written and verbal communication skills, an ability to move quickly in a fast-paced environment, and work collaboratively with a team. The position is based in Washington, D.C., though travel on occasion is possible.
Essential Responsibilities and Tasks
Strategy Development & Execution
- Work closely with the research and communications teams to develop strategic plan and project goals for our energy and environmental work based on Accountable.US’s expertise in opposition research, rapid response, and innovative communications tactics;
- Work with senior leadership to determine staffing and organizational needs to execute successfully on the strategic plan.
- Ensure our energy and environmental work reflects our commitment to diversity and gives a voice to marginalized communities.
- Ensure our energy and environmental work complements our work on other issues (economics, voting rights, corporate responsibility, combatting right wing extremism) and the overarching goals of the organization.
- Create and identify opportunities for Accountable.US to use its research and communications platforms to amplify its message and overall strategic plan.
Staff & Project Management
- Manage the day-to-day execution of strategic objectives of the energy & environmental program to ensure the goals are met;
- Work with senior staff to ensure any applicable grant deliverables are met;
- Oversee polling and messaging vendors related to programming when needed;
- Develop and oversee paid media campaigns as appropriate;
- Serve as a spokesperson when necessary to advance interests of Accountable.US.
- Maintain relationships with key stakeholders in energy and environment space;
- Develop relationships with new stakeholders and potential partners.
Experience, Knowledge, Skills and Ability
- Bachelor’s degree preferred;
- 6-8 years of government, advocacy, and/or political experience;
- Some work in the environmental or conservation spaces;
- Ability to write clearly and persuasively for press and stakeholders;
- Commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion and justice;
- Strong strategic sense and ability to project manage / drive projects forward;
- Experience managing multiple direct reports;
- Experience managing investigative research preferred;
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment;
- Sense of humor and a flexible, positive attitude.
Compensation & Benefits
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience. Our excellent benefits package includes health insurance, dental insurance, vision insurance, a 401(k) match, generous paid time off, professional development opportunities, and more. During the pandemic, all Accountable.US employees are working remotely. Some weekend work may be required.
How to Apply
Please email cover letter and resume to email@example.com with “Director, Energy and Environment” in the subject line.
Accountable.US is committed to attracting, developing, and retaining exceptional people, and to creating a work environment that is dynamic, rewarding, and enables each of us to realize our potential. Our work environment is safe and open to all employees and partners, respecting the full spectrum of race, color, religious creed, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, political affiliation, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, and all other classifications protected by law in the locality and/or state in which you are working.