Position: Director of Strategic Communications
Location: Washington, D.C. or New York, NY
Status: Exempt; Full Time
Reports to: VP of Communications
Accountable.US is a progressive watchdog organization that shines a light on the corrupting influence of powerful corporations and special interests on public policymaking. We use investigative research to expose these influences and communicate these findings to the public and to appropriate regulatory and legislative bodies when doing so can effect change. Our advocacy helps pave the way for policies that advance the interest of all Americans, not just the rich and powerful.
The ideal candidate must be a seasoned storyteller, communicator, manager and team player with experience developing integrated communications and campaigns and managing teams.
The salary and benefits package are very competitive and commensurate with experience. A flexible personality, sense of humor and positive attitude are important.
Responsibilities and Tasks
- Assist the VP and the communications team in developing the communications vision and strategy for the department.
- Work with the communications team to develop messaging, communications, and media plans.
- Create and oversee the execution of integrated high-impact communications that leverage media relations, research, digital and social, rapid response, marketing, branding and thought leadership.
- Work cross-functionally with digital and research counterparts on campaigns and projects to ensure efforts are strategic, collaborative and effective.
- Partner with the research team to take investigative research and turn it into high-impact communications and campaigns that resonate in the marketplace.
- Collaborate with digital team to ensure a strong digital footprint and reach in the organization’s high-impact communications.
- Manage a portfolio of issues including but not limited to energy, conservation and the environment and other areas.
- Work with the media to build and maintain relationships at the national, state and local levels as well as pitch and land stories.
- Develop pitch angles and media materials as well as approve them for other communications staff.
- Manage and mentor a talented group of communications and media relations professionals that will include deputy press secretaries.
- Identify opportunities to help the organization integrate diversity, equity, inclusion and justice into our communications plans and work.
Experience, Knowledge and Skills
- Minimum of eight or more years of communications experience required.
- Strong storyteller, communicator, manager and team player.
- Good written and oral communications skills and experience doing strategic planning and creating integrated communications.
- Track record of using research to develop innovative, high-impact communications and campaigns.
- Experience building and maintaining relationships with the media, creating pitch angles, developing and approving press materials, pitching and landing stories and mentoring non-management staff to help them become stronger media relations professionals.
- On the record spokesperson experience is required.
- Ability to successfully work cross-functionally across teams, demonstrating strong collaboration and relationship building skills.
- Minimum of three years of management experience.
- Self-starter that is innovative, flexible, nimble, focused and not afraid to try out new ideas and fail.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity inclusion and justice.
Accountable.US recognizes that diverse experiences and interests benefit an organization. We encourage those with experience not fully described in this listing to apply.
How to Apply
Please email cover letter and resume to email@example.com with “Director of Strategic Communications” in the subject line.
Accountable.US is committed to attracting, developing and retaining exceptional people, and to creating a work environment that is dynamic, rewarding and enables each of us to realize our potential. Our work environment is safe and open to all employees and partners, respecting the full spectrum of race, color, religious creed, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, political affiliation, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, and all other classifications protected by law in the locality and/or state in which you are working.