Location: Washington, DC or New York, New York
Status: Exempt, Full-time
Reports to: Research Manager
Accountable.US is a nonpartisan watchdog group that exposes corruption in public life and holds government officials and corporate special interests accountable by bringing their misconduct to light. In doing so, we make way for policies that advance the interests of all Americans, not just the rich and powerful. Accountable.US seeks a Research Associate to support its work to root out corruption and malfeasance.
The Research Associate will be responsible for providing research support and capacity to Accountable.US’s various projects. The position is based in Washington, D.C. or New York City, though research projects may include travel on occasion. During the pandemic, all Accountable.US employees are working remotely. Some weekend work may be required.
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience. A flexible personality, sense of humor, and positive attitude are important.
Essential Responsibilities and Tasks
- Work as part of a team to produce research reports on government accountability issues.
- Independently monitor relevant news and pitch larger research projects.
- Draft and follow up on public records requests, as well as analyzing results of these requests.
- Clearly report research findings to senior staff both orally and in written form.
- Attend events on issues of importance to Accountable.US; any such attendance of events will be virtual throughout the pandemic.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Experience, Knowledge, Skills and Ability
- At least 2 years of experience in research or related field. This could include political advocacy, campaign or public policy research, and/or experience on Capitol Hill or in government;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Sound judgment and discerning eye;
- Ability to work independently and juggle competing priorities and strict deadlines;
- Proven track record of being a self-starter;
- Immaculate attention to detail;
- Commitment to government accountability; and
- Demonstrates an interest in and ongoing commitment to diversity and inclusion.
How to Apply
Send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Research Associate” in subject line.
Accountable.US is committed to attracting, developing and retaining exceptional people, and to creating a work environment that is dynamic, rewarding and enables each of us to realize our potential. Our work environment is safe and open to all employees and partners, respecting the full spectrum of race, color, religious creed, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, political affiliation, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, and all other classifications protected by law in the locality and/or state in which you are working.