Position: Research Manager
Location: Washington, DC or New York, New York
Status: Exempt, Full-time
Reports to: Director of Research and Issue Campaigns
Accountable.US is a nonpartisan watchdog organization that shines a light on the corrupting influence of powerful corporations and special interests on public policymaking. Our work helps pave the way for policies that advance the interests of all Americans, not just the rich and powerful.
The Research Manager will oversee a team of researchers that serve as a de facto in-house research consultancy and provide research support and capacity to Accountable.US’s various campaigns and projects across several different issue sets. The Research Manager will also work with senior leadership at the organization to help craft research strategy for specific projects.
The position is based in Washington, D.C. or New York City, though research projects may include travel on occasion. Some weekend work may be required. Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience. A flexible personality, sense of humor, and positive attitude are important.
Essential Responsibilities and Tasks
- Manage the day-to-day research activities for specific issue portfolios, supervising a team of 3- 4 researchers on a daily basis; oversee their training, workflow, and work product, and providing them with leadership, feedback, and guidance.
- Manage execution of public records research related to the discrete research projects, including submission of Freedom of Information Act requests (and state open records requests), and review of responsive records;
- Work with the Director of Research and Issue Campaigns to define and determine research objectives and priorities that support campaign goals and strategies;
- Develop and execute both short and long-term research plans to support campaign goals and strategies.
- Work with Accountable.US leadership to integrate broader investigatory techniques to support research plans.
- Author and/or oversee preparation of detailed research reports/books and other products that have clear narrative arcs.
- Manage the rapid response research efforts of the organization, including identifying rapid response opportunities and crafting rapid response products.
- Oversee fact-checking of organizational work products.
- Liaise with partner organizations and other key stakeholders as needed to further the research needs of the progressive movement; and
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Required Education, Experience, Knowledge, Skills and Ability
- Bachelor’s degree required;
- 2+ years experience managing research and crafting research strategy, and/or managing staff required;
- Ability and comfort with managing up;
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills;
- Ability to juggle competing priorities and deadlines;
- Proven track record for being a self-starter;
- Knowledge of transparency and government relations and background in issue advocacy preferred;
- Experience working with research systems and structures;
- Extremely well organized, detail-oriented and analytical; and
- Demonstrates an interest and ongoing commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Accountable.US recognizes that diverse experiences and interests benefit an organization. We encourage those with experience not fully described in this listing to apply.
How to Apply
Please email cover letter and resume to email@example.com with “Research Manager” in the subject line.
Accountable.US is committed to attracting, developing and retaining exceptional people, and to creating a work environment that is dynamic, rewarding and enables each of us to realize our potential. Our work environment is safe and open to all employees and partners, respecting the full spectrum of race, color, religious creed, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, political affiliation, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, and all other classifications protected by law in the locality and/or state in which you are working.