Senator Josh Hawley
Senator Hawley is the only senator to oppose every one of Biden’s Cabinet secretaries and most of his Cabinet-level officials, voting against 19 of these qualified nominees. Even before Inauguration Day, Hawley was working to obstruct the incoming administration by spreading baseless lies about widespread voter fraud without providing any evidence. His actions helped incite a violent insurrection at the U.S. Capitol that resulted in multiple deaths. Even after the violence, Hawley stood by his decision to vote to overturn a democratically-held election, further sowing doubt in his far-right supporters. When his efforts to overturn the election results failed, Hawley kept up his obstruction, preventing the new administration from being able to hit the ground running on day one.
Hawley obstruction Top Hits:
- Hawley blocked a quick confirmation of Alejandro Mayorkas, President Biden’s nominee for Secretary of the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) amid multiple national security crises, including the violent insurrection he helped incite at the U.S. Capitol.
- In a rare warning, the DHS alerted to heightened threats from violent extremists emboldened by the assault on the Capitol for weeks. Hawley did not see a reason to expedite the filling of the very post that is responsible for stopping future insurrectionist attacks against our country.
- Hawley voted against every single Biden Cabinet secretary nominee and most Cabinet-level officials.
Some of our work to hold Hawley accountable:
- Watchdog Group: The American People Shouldn’t Have to Pay the Price Because Hawley Feels the Need to Pander to Extreme Base [Jan. 19, 2021]
- As Hawley Once Again Puts National Security At Risk, Senate Must Reject His Antics and Quickly Confirm Mayorkas [Jan. 22, 2021]
- New Ad: Josh Hawley’s Threats to National Security Don’t Stop at the Insurrection [Feb. 2, 2021]
- “Hawley Dozen” — The Missouri Senator Has Voted Against Every Single Biden Cabinet Nominee So Far [March 2, 2021]